History

A Brief History of St. Paul’s

St. Paul’s Church was erected in 1825 as a successor to the old St. Martin’s Church, Showell, MD which had been the center of Anglican worship in northern Worcester County since the early 1700’s.

In 1904, during a northeaster, the town of Berlin was ravaged by fire. St. Paul’s was severely damaged with only the 18’ thick walls remaining. Under the direction of The Rev’s William England, the church was rebuilt at a cost of $10,028.02 with a dramatically different look.

Under the influence of the Oxford Movement, the church took on the appearance it has today. The internal configuration of the church is reminiscent of a Medieval Cathedral with clerestory windows and exposed timber ceiling supports.

The parish remains faithful to the traditional form of doctrine, discipline and worship of the Episcopal Church as embodied in the Book of Common Prayer.